BAC was established in 1984 to provide a comprehensive quality assurance scheme for independent further and higher education in the UK. Our accreditation is recognised the world over by students, agents and government officials as the clearest mark of educational quality in the private sector. Alongside the British Council, whose Accreditation UK scheme serves as the definitive guide to the country’s English language centres, we have overseen the inspection of private post-16 education for over 30 years.
We are committed to both encouraging the highest standards of education offered by independent colleges and providing prospective students with an invaluable guide to quality in an often complex sector. Our charitable status informs our efforts not merely to pass judgement on institutions, but also to nurture their attempts to raise standards and the quality of education for all.
Our central office staff, a network of expert inspectors, and a team of experienced specialist consultants work together to help independent education and training providers raise their standards and reach their potential. We are the only registered charity of its kind in the UK.
BAC’s services include accreditation and bespoke consultancy for a wide range of diverse education providers. UK and overseas governments seek BAC’s advice based on our experience and unrivalled knowledge of the sector.
BAC’s brochure provides an overview of our background, areas of expertise and what we do. The brochure is available to download if you wanted to tell your stakeholders more about the BAC.
UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) approved for the purposes of sponsorship of Short-Term Study Visas
Our accreditation is recognised by the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI), part of the Home Office, as a qualifying requirement for institutions wishing to enrol students on Short-Term Study Visas: students from outside the EEA will only secure a UK Short-Term Study Visa if they have a genuine offer from an accredited institution.
Member of ENQA
We are a member organisation of ENQA, the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education.
- Be an established, diverse and leading education charity for the independent FE, HE and training sectors
- Expand accreditation and consultancy activities in the UK and international markets.
- Be recognised by UK and overseas governments as an influential voice on standards and quality for the independent education sector
- Provide respected and rigorous inspection-based accreditation to enhance the standards and quality of independent FE, HE and training providers
- Provide clear guidance to prospective students
- Encourage continuing improvement in the general standard and quality of independent education in the UK