Following on from some of the recent controversies surrounding English Language testing the government now requires students requiring a language test for Tier 4 General Student Visa to sit the test at one of the newly established SELT centres.  A full list of centres can be found on the government website.

But, not all students need to sit their test at a SELT centre.  So, who needs what?

If the students is going to study at a Higher Education Institution at degree level or above they do not need to sit the test at a SELT centre.  They will have to meet the English language requirements of the institution.

Any institution that is not a Higher Education Institution but the students are studying at degree level or above WILL require their IELST to have been sat at a SELT centre.

Any student who is studying below degree level will need to sit their test at a SELT centre.

For more details please read the on Tier 4 (General) student visa guidance on the government website.

The number of SELT centres is very limited so if you have students working towards getting their IELTS clear guidance will be needed and we recommend early booking at the nearest SELT.